Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Smokey Mountain Stranger



Today's Blogtember subject is...

a distinct moment when my life took a turn.

It was a sunny and hot July afternoon in the smokey mountains. We had come from Florida and stopped in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee on our way home. My dad and I were walking around the Old Mill area and had been taking some photos of the ducks and geese, sweating like mad in the muggy 99.99% humidity. 

Coming down the sidewalk towards us was a young guy dressed in black jeans, a gray t-shirt, black leather jacket, and dark sunglasses. As soon as I saw him I thought "That guy must be really trying hard to look tough dressed like that in this heat." I moved over to one side of the narrow sidewalk, making room for the dude to pass. Just before he moved past me, he slowed down, bent his arm at his waist, and bowed at me. Like Jane-Austen-meet-Mr-Darcy-style. Before I could respond he continued on down the sidewalk. I didn't know how to respond. It's not everyday a young man bows to me, though I wouldn't mind it happen more often. ;) I turned around to see if my dad had seen his gesture. "I guess he was paying you a complement" he said. 

So, lesson #1: never underestimate a guy in a leather jacket and sunglasses. 

As a side note, I have a theory about who this biker dude was. He looked very much exactly like this guy:


Lesson #2: Steve Rogers/Captain America could be vacationing in the smokey mountains while under cover. 

You just never know.

1 comment

I love comments. Thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts!

EMILY MARGARET. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.