Friday, August 15, 2014

Summer Reads | fiction



One of my favorite summer traditions is making multiple trips to the library. This year, my reading list has been growing very quickly and I've found some new favorites. I won't give a summary of the plots, because those are found easily enough, but I'll tell you why I like them so much.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
I could write a whole post just on this book.
The Young Adult genre usually isn't what I like to read, but I heard really great things about this book and decided to give it a shot. I loved it. Like so much that I went out and bought my own copy (which I don't do unless a book makes an impression on me, as I frequent my public library). The writing is geared towards a younger audience, (14-18ish), but the story is still all there. You feel what the characters feel. Yes, it will make you cry.
Favorite quote: "My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations".

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Wow.
Starting off, this book was a bit confusing, as you are thrown right into the action. However, this book is fan-tas-tic. The story is set in WWII and is from the perspective of two young women and their involvements in the war. It is exciting and heartbreaking and amazing all at the same time.

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
A fun, quick summer read. I didn't really care for the writing style, but the story line was what kept me interested - a spontaneous solo trip around Europe following the instructions from a series of letters from a late aunt.
Two favorite quotes: "Why Paris? Paris needs no reason. Paris is its own reason".
"She was standing in the airport of Copenhagen, staring at a doorway, trying to figure out if it was (a) a bathroom and (b) what kind of bathroom it was. The door merely said H. Was she an H? Was H 'hers'? It could just as easily be 'his'. Or 'Helicopter Room: Not a Bathroom at All' ".


Next on my to-read list:
>Rose Under Fire, the sequel to Code Name Verity. I just started it, but so far it's a good as the first.
>A Million Little Ways by Emily P. Freeman. I've read a ton of fiction lately and decided it was time for a switch. This book's been recommended by a few fellow photographer-artsy-creative types so I'm excited to check it out.

What have you been reading lately? What's next on your must-read list?

No comments

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts!

EMILY MARGARET. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.