Friday, September 12, 2014

On creating art | some thoughts


I've been reading A Million Little Ways, by Emily P. Freeman, and even though I'm only on the third chapter, it has already made it's way into my list of favorites. If you're a creative person, of any type, I highly suggest you go purchase it. It's gotten me thinking and helped me define exactly why I create art through my photography and I love that. This post is a bit wordy, just as a warning.




"I can't imagine anything more dangerous to the enemy of our hearts than people who know who they are." 
-Emily P. Freeman, A Million Little Ways


Why do I create? Why do I make art? Because I was made in the image of my Creator.

"So God created human beings in His own image. In the image of God He created them; male and female, He created them."
Gen. 1:27

The Creator, the one who created the wondrous, ever-shifting, watercolor sunsets.  It's only a natural, logical progression. 
The Ultimate Creator made us in His image, a reflection of Himself. Thus, we create art that reflects the glory back to Him.

Sometimes I have wondered, does God really care about art? Is my art something worthwhile?
But then I think again. Right now as I write this, it is a cool fall day and my bedroom window is open. There is a hummingbird feeder hanging by the window and the little birds are buzzing and chirping as they fly past. Have you ever seen a hummingbird fly past you on a sunny day? It looks like a flying jewel, the deeply pigmented feathers glinting in the sun. A close-up photograph will show you the amazing details and color of the little flying birds. Do you think that God, who took the time to create those little creatures, with their tiny shining feathers and little chirping voices, cares about art? I do.

And so, as a reflection of Him, I create art. My art comes in many different forms, but it my art, nonetheless. But really, none of it is mine.

The kindness and love I show to people, doesn't originate with me (and on some days, neither does my patience). My photography, though it is my photography, isn't mine. It is merely my interpretation of creation. I didn't create the flower, I only capture its image. I didn't create the mountains or the trees, I only choose how to show them. And neither did I create the person smiling back at me. My photograph attempts to show their beauty, a glimpse of who they are. It is my art, but it is not mine.

This blog is merely another form, another outlet of my art. I hope to use my words as well as my photographs, to show art, to show my personal reflection of The Creator.

No comments

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts!

EMILY MARGARET. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.